February 13, 2012

V Sandwiches (downtown)

V Sandwiches 
10135 100A Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0R5
(780) 426-1888

I've walked past the V Sandwich shop on Whyte many times, but have always been on my way somewhere else. So, when I was wandering along Rice Howard Way in search of dinner and stumbled upon their downtown location, I had to go in. V Sandwiches is definitely a takeout place. There are no tables, only a counter and 3 chairs set against the window. A variety of subs are offered using the same bread and veggie backbone for about $6 each. Salad rolls, vermicelli bowls, and a few wraps and soup are also available.

The salad rolls looked beautiful, and the pork had nice flavor. The inside was stuffed with vermicelli, but I would have liked a little more to these -- perhaps some cucumber, carrot, or herbs? Not even the accompanying peanut sauce, which was tasty (but could have used a touch of heat), saved these for me. It was all just too plain for my liking.

The satay beef is the most popular of V Sandwiches' signature subs, so I had to try it. The beef was sliced to a medium thickness, and was fairly tender. The satay sauce it was covered with was savory with a touch of peanut flavor and moderate heat. Combined with the perfectly toasted bread, veggies, and house sauce, this was a delight to eat with spicy, complex flavor.

All the signature subs come with cucumber, onions, cilantro, pickled carrots and the house sauce (which, according to the employee I asked, is hoisin-based). The BBQ pork was a bit on the chewy side, but I really enjoyed the sweetness of the sauce and the way it contrasted with the pickled carrots. It's a close call, but I think I prefer the BBQ pork over the satay beef.

Although the salad rolls didn't wow me, the subs we sampled were both very tasty. Preparation was reasonably quick (you can call ahead your order if you're in a big rush) and the prices quite reasonable. If you live or work nearby, it's definitely worth checking out.


Restaurant website
V Sandwiches on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment