January 20, 2012

Lux Steakhouse & Bar


Lux Steakhouse & Bar
Commerce Place
10150 - 101 Street
Edmonton, AB T5J 4G8
(780) 424-0400

We made reservations for Lux on what turned out to be an incredibly cold January evening. Not wanting to tempt fate (or my car's battery) I opted to take the LRT as Lux is right across the street from an entrance to Central station. When I finally stopped shivering, after settling into my seat, I was able to take in the restaurant and was impressed. High ceilings and wood trim made for a chic-but-not-uppity atmosphere. The lounge, in contrast, is more dark, romantic, and has a neat water feature. I'd really like to go back on a weekend and enjoy a drink in there with some friends.

Market salad
I started off with a market salad which was pretty massive for the starter size I ordered. The mandarin oranges, cranberries, and candied walnuts went well with the mixed greens, and the white balsamic dressing was sweet with an acidic bite.

Bison gyoza
The bison gyoza were homemade and delicious, especially with the honey basil sauce drizzled over top. The mandarin orange - cucumber "salsa" was not salsa -- more like a few sliced cucumbers with a load of canned mandarins. While unnecessary and bordering on excessive, it did look nice in plating.

Mushroom wellington
"Where's the beef?" The mushroom wellington is a vegetarian option on the menu. The flaky pasty and savory portabello au jus was enjoyed by my friend, and he had no complaints about the accompanying garlic mashed potatoes as he cleaned his plate.

Half chicken
Two of my other friends went for the half chicken entree. Served with potatoes and bacon roasted corn, my friends did say it was good, but that there was nothing particularly special about about the chicken.

Kobe meatloaf
This is a terrible picture of the kobe meatloaf, I know; it really did look better in person. Between the melt-in-your-mouth Kobe beef and the tomato peach chipotle chutney this was reportedly very, very tasty.
Onion rings
 The onion rings here are huge and coated in a thick, crispy layer of Stella Artois batter. They came with ranch for dipping, but it was totally unnecessary. These rings are heavenly all on their own.

Chocolate cake
Only a few of us saved room for dessert. The chocolate cake was rich, moist, and very chocolaty. My friend really enjoyed the strawberry sauce is was served with. I sampled it and found it a bit too chocolaty for my taste, but the devoted chocolate-lovers I was dining with vehemently disagreed.

Carrot cake
I went with the carrot cake and, wow, I was sure glad I did. It was a slice of warm & spicy heaven. I've seen raisins and pineapple in carrot cake before, but this cake also included dates -- I was sold. I'm going to have to try that in my own carrot cake now! As good as the cake was, the highlight of the dish was the chai ice cream served along with it. It was full of warm flavors itself and went really nicely with the cake and cream cheese icing.

It feels a bit wrong to review a steakhouse when no one in my party had the steak, but its actually nice to explore all the other options available at Lux. It's got a great atmosphere, helpful staff, and beautiful & delicious food. I'm definitely looking forward to heading back there for a drink in the lounge and a ribeye!


Restaurant website
LUX Steakhouse and Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment